DIY Industrial shelving
Industrial Shelving creates unique storage solutions. Industrial shelving brings together the warmth of wood with the cool texture of metal pipe to create a rustic style with modern clean lines. Therefore, Industrial shelving gives any space a modern yet warm style. Industrial shelving adds storage with style! It is a simple way to refresh a room. Add a few shelves in any room and you can instantly change the look and feel of that room. Open shelving is trending in kitchen’s as well as office space. Industrial shelving is being used for mantels and in living areas. Industrial shelving looks great in an office space or bathroom. Update any space with Industrial shelving.
You can scroll through Pinterest and find a large variety of ideas for industrial shelving. The way in which the pipes connect and the various pipe lengths allow an almost unlimited configuration. But figuring out how to connect the pipes to create your design while keeping the design level, can require an engineering degree! Well maybe not an engineering degree but it can get complicated! So start with an easy design. One of the easiest types of industrial shelving to create is the straight pipe support.
List of supplies
Print this list!
- Two ¾” flanges (piece that will attach to the wall)
- Two ¾” caps (screws on to the end of the pipe)
- Two ¾” X 8” L nipple (long straight pipe)
- Degreaser – Simple Green works well
- Spray paint (color that you would like to paint the piping)
- Dry wall screws (used to attach shelf to wall)
- One piece of 2”x8” wood (which is actually 7 ¼” deep) at the length of your choice (If you do not have a way to cut the board yourself, most home improvement stores will cut the wood to your specified length.)
- Stain or paint for your wood shelf
All of the products you need can purchased at most home improvement stores. Once you have gathered your supplies, let’s get started.
Steps to creating your industrial shelving:
- Clean and degrease your piping, flange and end cap. When you purchase your piping, you will feel that there usually is a thin layer of grease on the piping. Using a rag and a degreasing agent, wipe down the pipe. It is an easy and quick step, but necessary. Allow pipe to dry.
- Spray paint your piping, flange & end cap. Rustoleum makes a variety of spray paints that adhere well to metal. Typically we use a gray or black to paint the pipe. You can use the pipe without painting but it will be more likely to rust. Allow the paint to dry.
- Attach the pipe to the flange by simply screwing them together. The end cap is then screwed onto the end of the pipe.
- Once your board is cut to length, decide what color you want your board. Stain, paint or hemp oil your board. Allow the board to dry.
- Determine where you want to hang your shelf. Use screws that will fit through the holes in the flange and simple screw your pipe to the wall. If hanging longer shelves, you will need a third support in the middle of the board. If it is a longer board and there will be heavy objects on the shelving, try to position at least 1 or 2 supports so they are anchored into a stud in the wall. There are other wall anchor solutions if you are unable to place the supports in the studs.
You are done! Easy way to update any room and add storage or decor space.